The irony is that the same day that Pratibha Patil was sworn in as President, the first Indian woman to join the Indian Police Service was denied the post of Police Commissioner of Delhi.
I am referring to Kiran Bedi an IPS officer who passed out in 1972.
Kiran Bedi has proved herself repeatedly in outsider-unfriendly Mizoram where she made insurgents surrender, in reforming Asia's largest prison – the Tihar Jail and as the chief of the Narcotics Bureau she has always ensured she left her mark.
- Governors of States.
- The Chief Justice.
- Judges of the Supreme Court and the High Courts.
- The Attorney General.
- The Comptroller and Auditor General.
- The Chief Election Commissioner and other Election Commissioners.
- The Chairman and other Members of the Union Public Service Commission.
- Ambassadors and High Commissioners to other countries.
This Independence day when the nation hears the Presidents speech it cannot be called an address by the Rashtrapathi an abvious alternative to this fiasco would be to call it ‘Rashtra Pity’.